Jewish Community of Amherst (Amherst, MA)
Jewish Community of Amherst
The Jewish Community of Amherst (“the JCA”), affiliated with the Reconstructing Judaism movement, offers an environment of warmth, joy, compassion, and belonging, in our daily lives and in times of celebration and crisis. Founded in 1969 to foster a “spirit of Jewish community” in Amherst, Massachusetts, today we have a diverse membership of more than 300 households that include families, couples, and individuals from towns throughout Western Massachusetts and beyond.
The JCA seeks its first Executive Director who will also have responsibilities related to programming and education. To view a full job description, go to: https://bit.ly/jcaEDjob.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the following job duties, subject to change based upon the needs of the community:
- Maintaining working relationships with the Board, lay leadership, and volunteers, including assisting the Board (as needed) to recruit members for committees;
- Relationship development and maintenance, including relationships within the local community;
- Oversee community programming, religious school administrator, and summer program; identify and apply for appropriate grants;
- Managing synagogue building and grounds;
- Supervising synagogue staff and vendors;
- Financial development and management of the synagogue budget, working with the Treasurer and Finance Committee. This also includes working with staff and leadership on preparing/submitting grant proposals;
- Taking a leadership role on achieving fundraising goals;
- Coordinating with the Rabbi and committees to schedule religious services and managing High Holy Day logistics;
- Preferred technology experience: Microsoft Office Suite, EasyShul, Google Suite, and bookkeeping technology.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of synagogue leadership, administrative, and financial management experience preferred.
- Please email your résumé and cover letter summarizing how you meet the essential needs of the role to the JCA ED Search Committee at: jcaEDsearch@gmail.com
- References: Successful candidates will be asked to provide a minimum of three professional references along with contact information.
- Background Check: Final candidates will be required to successfully pass a background check.
- Salary: $100,000 annually + competitive benefits package
The Executive Director will be responsible for planning and leading regular community activities that often occur during evening hours. Community activities often occur at holiday times to support community growth. For example, JCA usually organizes a Sunday Mitzvah Day volunteering program. Additionally, JCA hosts monthly musical Kabbalat Shabbat and family Shabbat programs. The successful Executive Director candidate will be responsible for coordinating these events and an ideal candidate will be someone who is invigorated by the opportunity to attend these events.
The JCA strives to be a welcoming and inclusive environment that is committed to creating a diverse environment. We promote strenuous policies and practices of equal opportunity and diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals including those of any race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations. The JCA encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and individuals who identify as LGBTQ+.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : General
Annual Salary Range From : $85,000.00
To : $100,000.00
Congregation Size (member households) : 300
Annual Budget / Revenue : $500K - $1M