Sinai Memorial Chapel Chevra Kadisha Jewish Funeral Home (San Francisco, CA)
Sinai Memorial Chapel Chevra Kadisha
(San Francisco, CA)
Sinai Memorial Chapel Chevra Kadisha Jewish Funeral Home, a vibrant San Francisco Bay Area based Jewish non-profit founded in 1901, seeks a dynamic Executive Director to lead the organization into the future.
The Executive Director provides leadership and vision, managing all aspects of the organization’s operations and development in service of the Mission – to provide personal funeral care and service to all Jewish people and their loved ones of the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. SINAI honors Jewish traditions; embraces evolving practices; respects the dignity of the deceased; and provides compassion and support for the living.
The Executive Director maintains overall responsibility for implementing our longrange plan and its continuing development, as well as managing all current finances and operations overseeing three funeral homes and three cemeteries around the Bay Area. SINAI has an annual operating budget of approximately $7.5 million (including Beit Olam, a wholly owned cemetery entity), and 36 employees. The Executive Director serves as the organization’s CEO and represents the organization in community-related activities. The position involves direct supervision of all managers and overall supervision of all staff members.
This is a full-time, exempt position. The Executive Director reports to the SINAI Board.
The successful candidate must have extensive leadership experience in order to:
- Provide strong leadership to the Board, managers, and all employees -- for short and long-range planning, developing and implementing the Mission and vision.
- Evaluate and seek to improve every aspect of SINAI’s performance as a funeral home, cemetery and Jewish community organization.
- Offer strategic vision, innovation and ability to drive change.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated outstanding management skills in order to:
- Work with SINAI staff, Board, volunteers, community service providers and others to identify community needs and program opportunities, especially opportunities for meeting emerging community needs;
- Oversee ongoing operation of SINAI programs and policies, management of SINAI properties, and ensure efficient and effective operations;
- Lead and coordinate planning efforts, and oversee regular evaluation of ongoing SINAI programs to ensure continued effectiveness and vitality;
- Exhibit deep commitment to diversity to ensure SINAI is a place of welcoming and belonging to all.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of Judaism, extensive experience with other Jewish organizations and a commitment to Judaism and become (if not already) highly familiar with Jewish funeral and burial customs.
The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the organization’s financial affairs, both day-to-day and long-range in order to:
- Work with the Finance Committee to develop, implement and manage the annual operating and capital budgets;
- Oversee the preparation and lead the analysis of monthly and annual financial reports and their distribution to the Board, and work with internal and external financial staff on an annual audit;
- Ensure the development and management of proper and effective financial controls, checks and balances;
- Manage SINAI’s revenue streams and expenses, think creatively and analytically about the financial, social and economic environment and its impact on SINAI’S finances;
- Develop new revenue streams.
- Work with staff and the Board to develop fundraising strategies and to identify targeted funding institutions;
- Develop and maintain contact with key foundation executives and key major donor prospects;
- Spearhead the design and implementation of all major individual and institutional solicitations.
The successful candidate will manage all aspects of operations including:
- Hiring, firing, and supervision of staff and ensuring effective performance by establishing staff accountability through articulated expectations and meaningful performance feedback;
- Developing and enforcing personnel and salary policies;
- Responsibility for regulatory compliance and reporting;
- Meeting with families and providing other direct services when needed.
External Relationships & Communications Repsonsibilities
The successful candidate will be the lead representative of SINAI responsible for the following:
- Providing leadership and overall direction of all public relations activities, client relations, and interagency relations within the local Jewish community and the regional/national cemetery and funeral home professions, by
- Conducting extensive outreach and relationship building efforts to local leaders, particularly clergy and leaders of community organizations;
- Directing the development of educational and marketing programs and efforts;
- Representing SINAI before various statewide and national conferences, governmental agency and community boards and organizations;
- Overseeing production of SINAI newsletters, Annual Reports, website, and other publications.
- Ensuring that regular and special events (e.g. Annual Meeting, Zayn Adar brunch, open houses for clergy) take place and are effective.
Reporting and other Responsibilities
The successful candidate will report to the Board of Directors, Officers and Committees of the Board and:
- Work closely with the President of Board of Directors and all Committees to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Take a “hands-on” role, requiring a strong work ethic and willingness to undertake any work needed in the organization.
- Lead as a role model both inside and beyond the organization with impeccable character, ethics, and judgment and also possessing personable and warm demeanor.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (advanced degree preferred).
- Funeral Director’s License and experience in the funeral and/or cemetery industries is preferable, but not essential; eligibility for obtaining such a license required.
- Ten to fifteen years appropriate management, administrative and financial experience at the highest level of an organization.
- Forward-thinking, well organized, self-directed, and creative individual with high ethical and professional standards; strong social and diplomatic skills; analytical ability; proficient negotiating capabilities; strong operational focus. Must demonstrate the ability to fulfill the Essential Responsibilities outlined above.
- An intelligent and articulate individual who is a team player with strong interpersonal skills, and who can relate to people at all levels of an organization.
- Financial and business acumen; excellent working knowledge of budgets and financial statements in a non-profit organization.
- Literate in Jewish religious practices and traditions, and sensitive to (and comfortable working with) the spectrum of Jewish practices, customs and values, ensuring that SINAI remains a welcoming institution to all.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including strong listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and to use appropriate judgment to weigh conflicting priorities.
- Comfort with computerized information and data systems.
Work Environment Physical Demands Sinai's primary office is located in San Francisco, with additional staffed offices in Palo Alto and Lafayette. Frequent travel to neighboring counties is necessary. When on-site, work is performed at a desk in a well-lit office. Computer use is essential.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $200,000 to $250,000, depending on qualifications and experience, plus comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and 8% pension contribution.
Please submit a resume and cover letter on or before Monday, April 3, 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. To learn more, please visit https://www.sinaichapel.org/careers.aspx.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Executive
Recruitment Notice : SamSalkinRetirementAnnouncement.pdf
Annual Salary Range From : $200,000.00
To : $250,000.00
Congregation Size (member households) : 0
Annual Budget / Revenue : Over $5M
How to Apply : Please submit a resume and cover letter on or before Monday, April 3, 2023, to email@example.com.