Beth El Synagogue (Durham, NC)
Beth El Synagogue
Beth El is a thriving, inter-generational, pluralistic Conservative Jewish congregation located in Durham, North Carolina – an exciting city known for its arts scene, biotech businesses, legendary college basketball team, and heimishJewish community. Founded in 1887, Beth El has long served the vibrant Jewish communities of the Triangle including Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh. Often compared to Austin ten years ago, the region is consistently ranked by US News and World Report among the most desirable places to in the US. Like the local population, Beth El is also growing, and counts over 400 member families. Beth El, which is a member of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, is unique in its big tent approach and dedicated lay leadership, which is evident in its three minyanim: one Conservative, an Orthodox Kehillah affiliated with the Orthodox Union, and a new Egalitarian Minyan.
Beth El is now seeking a new Executive Director to succeed Jodi Salomon, who served the congregation successfullybefore departing for personal reasons. The new Executive Director will be the strategic and operations leader of the congregation, working in close collaboration with the Rabbi and lay leadership to ensure the synagogue is as efficient as it is welcoming. They will also be responsible for creating a new strategic plan and vision for Beth El that translates its existing and aspirational value propositions to engage both the current and next generation of members. The ExecutiveDirector reports to the Beth El Board President and is responsible for the synagogue’s administrative, financial, and business operations, in addition to supporting the congregation’s religious and membership services.
The Executive Director position requires both high-level leadership and management acumen and day-to-day hands-on skill in key functional areas, particularly finance. The Executive Director supervises eight full- or part-time staffpositions, including one vacant position. Beth El seeks a distinctive combination of personal qualities and professional competence.
The Person: We are seeking a dynamic individual with the following personal qualities:
A people expert, who empowers and brings out the best in others, knows how to have difficult conversations, and is capable of building (and advocating for) a best-in-class team.
A smoother operator, who sweats the small stuff and keeps the trains running on time – but who also knows not to take it all too seriously.
A community builder, who understands how to make people feel like they belong, has a customer service mind-set and the endless empathy and optimism needed for congregational life.
A strategic thinker, who can help develop and executive a comprehensive vision for the future that is bothinspiring and achievable.
A creative problem solver, who serves a diverse congregation with confidence, patience, calm, and positivity and who builds trust by doing what they say they’re going to do.
- Organizational Leadership: Collaborate with the Rabbi and the Board to plan and lead Beth El’s future as avibrant, diverse Conservative Jewish Congregation. Support the work of the Board and committees of the congregation.
- Financial Management: Serve as Beth El’s Chief Financial Officer, working closely with the Finance Committee of the Board.
- Human Resource Management: Lead and supervise Beth El’s staff and establish with the Board appropriate policies and procedures.
- Communications and Community Relations: Oversee internal and external communications andbuilding relationships with other Jewish, interfaith, and civic groups. Establish new and build on existing volunteer opportunities for the Beth El community.
- Fundraising: Participate in Beth El’s development efforts and provide for effective record keeping and stewardship.
- Programming and Membership: Support the Rabbi and program staff in providing for the congregation’s spiritual, educational, and social needs.
- Communications and Community Relations: Develop and implement a comprehensive communications planthat provides timely, engaging, and accessible information to the congregation and relevant external audiences .
- Information Technology: Oversee Beth El’s IT needs in a cost-effective way that maintains security.
- Facilities Management: Oversee facilities use and maintenance, including a revenue-generating rental program.
- An earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education (required);
- At least five years of demonstrated leadership at a senior level in performing the range of duties required at Beth El (preferred);
- Familiarity with Jewish ritual, holiday, and life-cycle traditions (required)
- Experience working for or volunteering with a Jewish service organization (preferred);
- Significant financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, and management experience in a non-profit organization; and
- Experience evaluating and utilizing financial, communications, and database software and web-based technology.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range: $100,000-$120,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
- Benefits: Health care, professional development allowance, professional dues, retirement plan with employercontribution, synagogue dues, religious school tuition discount, paid vacation/sick leave/family leave, paid holidays, and other benefits tailored to successful candidate needs.
For More Information
A full position description, including application details, can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XaMAWKeVhln14MhSeRDRjM-Wn_SDGelH/view?usp=share_link
Beth El encourage applications from individuals with many identities and backgrounds to apply for this role, including Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, Jews of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from low-income backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements for this job – if you think you can do it, apply anyway. We want to hear from you!
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Executive
Recruitment Notice : Beth El Exec Dir Search 2023 - Full Job Description.pdf
Annual Salary Range From : $100,000.00
To : $120,000.00
Congregation Size (member households) : 400
How to Apply : A full position description, including application details, can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XaMAWKeV