Ansche Chesed (New York, NY)
New York, NY
Ansche Chesed, a thriving Conservative synagogue on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, seeks a passionate and experienced Executive Director to serve as its senior staff leader working in partnership with clergy and lay-leadership to meet the religious, educational, and communal needs of its growing congregation as it approaches its third century.
Reporting to the President of the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director will lead and make individual contributions to financial and strategic planning, program and project execution, as well as day-to-day administrative management of the synagogue. The Executive Director is responsible for leading a small professional staff and managing several outside vendors and contractors to provide effective business and financial operations, consistent with the policies and procedures established by the Board.
Bearing in mind the religious, educational, and social impact mission of Ansche Chesed, the Executive Director initiates activities to ensure that members' needs are met through efforts of both staff and volunteers.
The Executive Director has a broad range of responsibilities that require a high level of professional competence in the following areas:
- Organizational Leadership: Collaborate with the clergy and lay leadership to plan and lead Ansche Chesed’s future. Support the work of the Board and its committees.
- People Leadership: Hire, lead, develop, support, and manage performance of professional office staff. Establish and document appropriate policies and procedures with the Board.
- Financial and Risk Management: Work closely with the Finance Committee of the Board to balance use of financial resources relative to annual budget as well as long-term fiscal health. Negotiate with and manage outside vendors, suppliers, and contractors. Oversee technology needs in a cost-effective way that maintains data security.
- Membership Outreach, Programming, and Support: Ensure effective communication and engagement with current and prospective members. Support the clergy, staff, and lay leadership in providing educational, social action, and communal programming for the congregation’s spiritual, educational, and social needs.
- Facilities Management: Manage building super to ensure effective use and maintenance of newly-renovated almost century-old building, including safety and security. Solicit and manage revenue-generating long-term rentals and events.
- Fundraising: Participate in Ansche Chesed’s development efforts, building on success of recent $8M+ capital campaign, in partnership with staff, lay leadership, and volunteers. Ensure effective record keeping and stewardship.
- Education & Experience: Bachelor’s degree and at least ten years experience, at least five in a relevant leadership role, in a nonprofit and/or membership and/or religious organization; master’s degree or certificate in nonprofit management, business administration, or related field is a plus.
- People Leadership: Exceptional people leader with experience hiring, developing, disciplining, and supporting staff members.
- Communication and Relationship Skills: Exceptional relationship-building as well as written and verbal communication skills with diverse stakeholders.
- Organizational Skills: Highly organized, data-driven decision maker with the ability to organize others, ideally in membership and/or volunteer-driven institutions.
- Business Acumen: Thorough understanding of how to effectively plan and manage budgets and finances, contracts, and human resources.
- Facilities Management: Experience overseeing facilities operations including safety and security, building operations, third-party tenants, and events.
- Fundraising/Development: Experience with annual fundraising and planned giving, including record-keeping and stewardship.
- Technology Experience: Experience evaluating and using technology tools, including web-based systems and social media, to support administration, events, membership, communications and marketing. Knowledge of Shul Cloud is a plus.
- Knowledge of Jewish life cycle and ritual/communal practices.
Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications, with an expected salary between $115,000 – $140,000. Generous benefit package available.
For more information about the position or to apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Ansche Chesed:
Ansche Chesed is a thriving Conservative synagogue on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. We are ritually traditional, socially progressive, intellectually vibrant, and communally caring. Our diverse and growing 600+ membership units include those who are steeped in tradition and those finding their ways, LGBTQ and straight people, single people, those married to other Jews, and those married to non-Jews. Everyone has a home among Ansche Chesed, the “community of kindness.”
Ansche Chesed is an equal opportunity employer. It celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Ansche Chesed does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexuality or gender identity, status as a veteran, or disability or on any other federal, state or local protected class.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Executive
Job Function : Administrative, Development, Finance, General, Marketing
Recruitment Notice : ED Congregation Ansche Chesed NYC.pdf
Annual Salary Range From : $115,000.00
To : $140,000.00
Congregation Size (member households) : 635
Annual Budget / Revenue : $2.5M - $5M
Anticipated Start Date for the Position : 6/26/2023
How to Apply : Please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.