Midway Jewish Center (Syosset, NY)
Midway Jewish Center
Midway Jewish Center seeks a dynamic Synagogue Administrator who will work closely with the President to ensure that the synagogue’s vision and impact are sustained and measured. This position is a senior leadership position that reports to the Synagogue President and includes managing the Administrative and Facilities departments in close collaboration with our lay-leaders alongside our Senior Rabbi, Cantor, Education Director, and ECC Director.
The nature of the Synagogue Administrator position and the priorities given to different functions are expected to evolve over time based on the Congregation’s needs and the Synagogue Administrator’s particular talents and strength’s.
This describes the current positions and is not an employment contract.
We reserve the right to modify job duties and responsibilities at any time.
Responsibilities, include but not limited to:
- Leading and supervising all non-clergy employees in the synagogue office and facilities department.
- Expediting and troubleshooting administrative strategies.
- Serving as chief point of contact for members’ needs, questions and concerns.
- Attending and participating in all Executive Committee, Board of Trustees, and Synagogue Committee meetings.
- Serving as point of contact for all IT, telephone, alarm, printer and office supplies vendors.
- Serving as eyes and ears to president and leadership of the congregation.
- Assisting all lay committees, including enabling volunteers to achieve their respective committee goals.
- Coordinating actions of professional staff when appropriate. (Training’s, moral events, etc.)
- Responsible for synagogue operating budget in tandem with the bookkeeping company, synagogue treasurer and department heads.
- Managing day to day expenditures.
- Serving as point person for audit/review by outside CPA firm.
- Leading a bid process from outside vendors when acquiring special services for the synagogue.
- Assisting with fundraising projects, in conjunction with the synagogue president and committee chairpersons.
- Facility Management:
- Supervising the building maintenance staff and holding accountability for all building maintenance issues.
- Serving as point of contact for all HVAC, plumbing, electrical, landscaping, roofing and security vendors.
- Primary point of contact for booking of synagogue space, overseeing major events, coordinate with service providers to secure that functions run smoothly.
Qualifications, Experience, and Skills:
- Experience supervising staff including or comparable to facilities and administrative staff.
- Capability of fostering supportive, respectful, and collaborative dynamic among staff team.
- Ability to manage the operations of the synagogue including financial management and planning, membership (retention, engagement & recruitment), and facility operations.
- Experience overseeing large, complex construction projects is a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft office, common databases and financial software.
- Knowledge of key issues around security, health, and safety for Jewish congregations today and ability to lead staff and congregational efforts in these areas.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to multitask.
- Experience working collaboratively with staff and lay leadership.
- Non-Profit management experience a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is a full-time exempt position. MJC offers vacation, sick, and holiday policies,
- Salary - $80k
- 403b available
- Medical Benefits – MJC will cover 2/3 of medical coverage
- PTO – Employee is entitled to 15 days of PTO in a calendar year
- Leave early on Shabbat
- Full membership privileges
Hours / Time Off:
Anticipated work hours shall include business hours while the MJC office is open during weekdays, as well as weeknight meetings of the Board, Executive Committee, and other relevant leadership and lay meetings and functions, plus attendance as required at special shul functions. Employee may schedule workday absences to ensure proper work/life balance.
Expected to work High Holidays
Interested Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Rabbi Dr. Joel Levenson via email@example.com.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Administrative
Annual Salary Range From : $80,000.00
To : $80,000.00
Congregation Size (member households) : 550
Annual Budget / Revenue : $1M - $2.5M